Tall (5'7 1/2"), brunette fashion model Linda Gray began her acting career in television commercials-nearly 400 of them, in fact. While shopping in a health-food store one day in the early 1970s, Gray struck up a friendly conversation with a woman who turned out to be Mrs. Dennis Weaver; as a result, Gray was cast in her first substantial dramatic role on Weaver's weekly series McCloud. Her first regular TV-series gig was as an unlikely transsexual on the satirical soap opera All That Glitters (1977). From 1978 through 1991, Gray was seen as Sue Ellen Ewing on the prime-time serial Dallas. Linda Gray has since been co-starred on the 1994 Fox Network Models Inc.
Biography by Hal Erickson
- Worked as a model before launching her acting career.
- Her leg was used in the iconic publicity poster for the 1967 film The Graduate. Later starred as Mrs. Robinson in a stage production of The Graduate in 2001.
- Played a transsexual in the short-lived 1977 satirical soap opera All That Glitters.
- Made her directorial debut with an episode of Dallas.
- Voted Woman of the Year by the Hollywood Radio and Television Society in 1982.
- Served as a United Nations ambassador from 1997 to 2007.
- Launched the production company L.G. Productions.
- In 2012, returned to her career-defining role as Sue Ellen Ewing in the TNT series Dallas, a revamping of the original show.