- Nicknamed "The Jet."
- Graduated from Archbishop Molloy High School, the same school that spawned NBA players Kevin Joyce (1969); Brian Winters (1970); and Kenny Anderson, Smith's cousin (1989); as well as actor David Caruso (1974); former NYC police commissioner Raymond Kelly (1959); and former HUD secretary Andrew Cuomo (1975).
- Four-year starter---one of the few players in the Dean Smith era to start his first game as a University of North Carolina freshman.
- Named the National Player of the Year, as well as All-America, in 1987.
- Drafted sixth overall by the Sacramento Kings in 1987.
- Upon graduation, held UNC record for assists (768), steals (195) and assists in the NCAA Tournament (86) in a career.
- Elected to the board of Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Houston in 1991.
- Played for the Houston Rockets for their 1994 and 1995 titles.
- Played for the Rockets through the 1995-6 season, season before Charles Barkley joined the team; they share a desk on TNT.
- On Sept. 11, 2005, hosted the NBA Players Hurricane Relief Game to benefit Hurricane Katrina victims.