- Played football at New Mexico Military Institute and Trinity University in San Antonio.
- With brother Joe, runs the Maloof companies, which include properties in banking, casinos, hotels and the Sacramento Kings.
- Under ownership group led by his father, Gavin became president of the Houston Rockets in 1980 at 24-years-old, making him the then-youngest owner-operator in major professional sports.
- In his first year in Houston, the Rockets made the NBA Finals for the first time in franchise history, and made the playoffs in each of the three years under Maloof ownership.
- Served in the front office of the World League of American Football's Birmingham Fire (1991-92).
- Since 2008, Gavin and Joe have hosted the Maloof Money Cup, which is designed to improve the image and participation in skateboarding.