- Of Welsh, Scottish, French and Native American (Walla Walla tribe) descent, with his grandmother providing the Native American link.
- Wrestled at the 1992 and 1996 Olympic Games, placing 10th and 12th respectively, in Greco-Roman middleweight class.
- Simultaneously held belts in two weight classes (183 and 205 lbs.) of Pride Fighting, the first to do so in a major MMA promotion.
- Earned the role (with a win at UFC 93 in Ireland) of Team U.S. coach on 2009's The Ultimate Fighter. After the series, landed one of the knockouts of the year vs. Team U.K. coach Michael Bisping.
- Became the first fighter to take on 10 different UFC champions.
- Co-owns Team Quest Fitness Gym in Murrieta, CA, and cofounded Team Quest Fight Club with Randy Couture.