Canadian-born Cory Monteith began his acting career in his home country, appearing in projects filmed in Vancouver, such as the series Stargate Atlantis. He eventually began snagging bigger roles, including the recurring character of Charlie on the series Kyle XY, and relocated to California. In 2009, Monteith was cast in a starring role on the Fox series Glee, a show about a down-and-out high school glee club. He became one of the breakout stars on the show and parlayed that into a supporting part in Monte Carlo, and of course appeared in the Glee 3D concert film. Tragically, Monteith died of a drug overdose in July of 2013. He was 31.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Started playing drums at age 7, a talent he later used in the role of Gunnar, a drummer, on the MTV series Kaya.
- Dropped out of school in ninth grade, eventually earning his high school diploma in 2011 from an alternative school in Victoria, British Columbia.
- Worked as a Wal-Mart greeter before finding success as an actor.
- Had a recurring role on Kyle XY in 2006.
- Auditioned for Glee with a video of him playing the drums on a set of Tupperware.