After a series of supporting roles in productions including The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), Just My Luck (2006), and Smokin' Aces (2007), actor Chris Pine shot up to lead billing when he signed for the coveted lead part of Captain Kirk in J.J. Abrams' much-anticipated reboot of the Star Trek franchise, released in 2009. He followed up that smash hit playing opposite Denzel Washington and a runaway train in Unstoppable. In 2011 he participated in the Star Trek documentary The Captains, and the next year he was in the romantic comedy This Means War, and the drama People Like Us.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- His parents were both actors. His father, Robert Pine, played Sgt. Joseph Getraer on the TV series CHiPs; his mother, Gwynne Gilford, appeared on numerous TV series and in the 1987 film Masters of the Universe.
- Producer Martin Jurow (Breakfast at Tiffany's; Terms of Endearment) is a cousin on his father's side.
- Spent his junior year of college in England at the University of Leeds.
- Was accepted at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art after college, but decided he didn't want to go deep into debt to pay for it.
- Was named one of Variety's 10 Actors to Watch in 2008.