- Lived in many places as a child, such as England, Israel and Texas, because his father was a colonel with the United Nations armed forces.
- Worked as a recreational therapist specializing in improv and acting.
- Planned to become a music teacher before setting his sights on acting.
- Performed in a local production of Whose Life Is It Anyway?, as well as with dance troupes early in his career.
- Was thin when he auditioned for his Breaking Bad role of Skinny Pete because of injuries from an auto accident a year before.