- Belongs to a lineage of the ancient Palawanon shamans.
- Kanakan-Balintagos is his tribal-spirit name.
- Spent five years living in Palawan (after completing his theatre and filmmaking studies in Manila) before making his first film.
- Made his debut with the movie Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros (2005), which won 15 international awards and is also the first Filipino movie to be nominated for a Best Foreign Film Award at the Independent Spirit Awards in the United States.
- Is one of the 100 directors profiled in the book Take 100 published in 2010.
- All his works have been screened in major festivals around the world, which includes Cannes, Berlin, Sundance, Montreal, Pusan, Toronto and Rotterdam.