- Studied acting, singing and dancing at the Barbara Speake Stage School in London.
- Performed with Michael Jackson at the age of 11 on the 1996 BRIT Awards.
- Was cast as the lead in the 2006 independent film Kidulthood; the part became his breakout role.
- Started the A.S.A. (Actors Student Alliance) for emerging actors in 2008.
- Auditioned for the U.S. television drama Harry's Law using an American accent so convincing the British-born Ameen was mistaken for a native New Yorker.
- His first name means "hope" in Arabic.