- Won the America's Cup, yachting's most prestigious award, in 1977.
- Had a role as a Confederate colonel in the 1993 TV movie Gettysburg, which was produced by Turner Pictures.
- Was inducted into the Television Hall of Fame in 1992, the Cable Television Hall of Fame in 1999 and the Atlanta Braves Hall of Fame in 2000.
- Is the author of a memoir, Call Me Ted (2008).
- Was one of three inaugural winners of the Gorbachev Awards in 2011. Selected by former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev, honorees are recognized for their world-changing achievements.