- Originally trained as a primary school teacher after graduating from university, but opted to be an actor after a year of teaching.
- Played Vronsky in a BBC Radio 4 production of Anna Karenin in 2002.
- Revealed he was a descendant of John Lilburne, after being confirmed to portray him in a 2008 production of The Devil's Whore.
- After performing in Enron in 2009, he reunited with director Rupert Goold in Earthquakes in London in 2010.
- Is a patron of Scene and Heard, a charity based in London that aims to improve the prospects of children through mentoring and courses in drama skills.