- Learned Kathakali and Bharatanatyam, two Indian classical dance forms, from Professor Surendra Wadgaonkar.
- Made her film debut in Arvind Desai Ki Ajeeb Dastaan (1978).
- Learnt to spin the charkha for her role in Richard Attenborough's Gandhi (1982). After two months of learning, she had a lot of thread, which she exchanged at Gandhi Bhavan for a handkerchief. She gifted it to Richard later on.
- Won the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her role in Gandhi (1982).
- Started a theatre group called Awishkar, along with her husband.
- Received the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2004 for her contribution to Indian theatre.
- Headed the jury for the 59th National Film Awards in 2011.