Though he proved adept at drama (evident via his straight-faced evocation of a young Bill Murray in the 2002 telemovie It's Always Something: The Gilda Radner Story), actor Mather Zickel specialized in comedic portrayals in madcap, off-the-wall material. Projects included the zany Christopher Walken farce Balls of Fury (2007), the raunchy religious spoof-sex comedy The Ten (2007), and Jonathan Demme's ensemble drama Rachel Getting Married (2008). Zickel is perhaps best known, however, for his ongoing portrayal of Carter on the pitch-black Internet-based soap opera spoof Horrible People.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Made his mark on the small screen portraying Bill Murray in the 2002 TV-movie Gilda Radner: It's Always Something.
- Had a TV role on Reno 911! and played 1970s Yankee outfielder Lou Piniella in the 2007 ESPN miniseries The Bronx Is Burning.
- Honed his comedic chops in such films as the 2007 features The Ten and Balls of Fury and 2009's I Love You, Man.
- Honed his stage abilities in New York and Los Angeles, working with such playwrights as Sarah Ruhl, Gina Gionfriddo and Adam Bock.
- Put his dramatic skills to work as Kieran in Rachel Getting Married (2008), for which the ensemble cast was nominated for a Critics Choice Award and a Gotham Award.