- Directed TV commercials for 12 years before entering show business.
- His film, Crying Ladies (2003), was Philippines' official entry at the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film.
- Has won Best Director awards at the Metro Manila Film Festival for Crying Ladies (2003) and Baler (2008).
- His film, El Presidente (2012), based on the life of the first president of the Philippines, won seven awards at the Metro Manila Film Festival.
- Teaches filmmaking at the De La Salle University, Asia-Pacific Film Institute and Marilou Diaz-Abaya Film Institute in Manila.