- Worked as a management consultant before stepping into the film industry.
- Made his directorial debut with the Kannada film Pallavi Anu Pallavi (1983).
- Won the Golden Lotus Award for Best Popular Film at the 37th National Film Awards in 1990 for his film Geethanjali (1989).
- Received the Padma Shri, India's fourth highest civilian award, in 2002.
- Won the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Movie for Yuva (2004), the remake of the Tamil film Aaytha Ezhuthu (2004).
- Was awarded the Jaeger-Lecoultre Glory to the Filmmaker at the 67th Venice International Film Festival in 2010.