- As a young child, her mother enrolled her in singing, acting and dance classes after noticing her enthusiasm for the performing arts.
- After college, made TV debut in HBO's The Wire in 2003, and later worked with the same creative team again on the network's Treme (2010-13).
- Lived with friend Viola Davis for a brief time after moving to Hollywood in 2009.
- Stage work includes Henry VI, Cyrano de Bergerac and Gee's Bend, which earned her an Outstanding Lead Actress in a Play nomination for a 2008 production of Gee's Bend in Philadelphia.
- With husband, Kelvin Dickerson, founded AbundantLifeU, which offers life and career coaching to up-and-coming artists in the entertainment industry.