- Goes by his middle name, Stokes, to family and friends.
- His father was an engineer with the Navy and the family spent time in the Philippines and Guam before settling in San Diego.
- Went to high school with Annette Bening.
- Worked with San Diego's Old Globe Theatre, the Junior Theater and the Civic Light Opera.
- Met his wife, Allyson Tucker, when they were both cast in the 1990 Broadway production of Oh, Kay!
- Took a seven year break from Broadway after his son was born in 2003.
- Released his self-titled debut album in 2006.
- Before being cast as one of her dads on Glee, worked with Lea Michele when she was 8 in a Toronto production of Ragtime and again in the 2008 Hollywood Bowl production of Les Miserables.