Born and raised in the Netherlands, professional dancer Louis van Amstel initially attended theater school in his native country, training in the areas of jazz, ballet, and tap, then he subsequently trained under the aegis of noted instructor Dr. Ruud Vermeij at the University of the Arts in Amsterdam. In the years to follow, van Amstel amassed a myriad of dance-related honors including 1996 World Professional Showdance Champion and 1995 European Amateur Latin Champion. Upon immigrating to the United States, he extended his dance-related activity to choreography by writing, producing, and starring in the Broadway production Latin Fusion, and by founding and running the corporations VanDance and later Visionworx Dance, a company devoted to creating exciting, electric, and innovative new dance moves and training younger generations of dancers. van Amstel attained a substantial amount of national celebrity via his involvement in television, as a participant in several seasons of the ABC competitive reality series Dancing with the Stars. The program witnessed van Amstel teaming up with such dance partners as Trista Rehn Sutter, Lisa Rinna, and Priscilla Presley.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Grandparents were ballroom dancers.
- Began studying dance at age 10, as his parents felt it would help him socialize.
- Won a gold metals at the World Latin Dance Championships in 1994, 1995, and 1996.
- Founded the nationally touring dance companies VanDance, LLC and Visionworx.
- Directed, choreographed and performed in Latin Fusion, a Broadway dance production in New York City.
- Trains with legendary dance instructor Dr. Ruud Vermeij.
- On Dancing With the Stars, was paired with celebs like Trista Sutter, Lisa Rinna, Monique Coleman and Priscilla Presley.
- Serves as Creative Director and Choreographer for the Dancing With the Stars tour.
- Released an eight-DVD set, Learn to Dance Like the Stars: Let's Dance—Beginner to Ballroom Pro.
- Has an active wear clothing line called LVA.