The scion of an A-list Hollywood couple -- rapper-turned-actor Will Smith and actress Jada Pinkett Smith -- Jaden Christopher Syre Smith entered show business as a pint-sized child star, courtesy of his mom and dad. He began with a number of appearances on the Smith-produced sitcom All of Us (2003), then moved into film with lead billing in another effort produced by his dad, the inspirational drama The Pursuit of Happyness (2006). That feature -- a box-office and critical smash -- starred Will and Jaden as a down-on-their-luck father/son pair drawn ever closer as the father vows to work his way up the corporate ladder and dramatically improve their circumstances. Additional projects followed, including a role as one of the humans who teaches alien Klaatu (Keanu Reeves) about life on Earth in director Scott Derrickson's science-fiction remake The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008).
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Made TV debut in 2003 in the UPN comedy series All of Us.
- First film role was in the 2006 drama The Pursuit of Happyness, opposite his father. The role earned him an MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance.
- Appeared in Alicia Keys' 2008 music video for "Superwoman."
- In 2009 became a Youth Ambassador for Project Zambi, a program that focuses on children whose loved ones died from AIDS.
- With Justin Bieber, recorded the theme song "Never Say Never" to the 2010 movie The Karate Kid.
- Was dubbed Breakthrough Male Star of the Year by ShoWest in 2010.